Sunday, October 12, 2008

Stupid is as stupid does

And I don't believe that I did anything stupid on the Soul Buster II. Is that possible??? I am trying a new thing...listen to the coach... It isn't that I do not listen to Steve. I think Steve is the greatest ever!! But I like to listen to what I like and disregard the rest. I have spent a lot of time trying to prove that I can skip stages in my running training. But, it caught up with me and now I am committed to listen to Steve (and to Katie reminding me to listen to Steve!!)

At one of the office hours a while back Mike asked me why I was running after listening to my diatribe on everything that was wrong with my running. I thought about this question for about a week...maybe longer...and I deciphered out every good thing that was a given - my running friends, scenery, being fit, etc. I thought about pure, basic, raw... the act of running. I realized that my reason for running was the same one that got me into it - running makes me feel alive. Breathing, sweating, heart beating running...so alive.

So I thought about this as we all set off on Soul Buster II. Steve had set up a little change in my workout (seeing how I had only 2 20 milers under my belt and still feeling kinda rough.) So I enjoyed my buddies until the 16 mile turn around and then (with a little guilt) watched them head away to run longer. I went to the track and did 2 miles at MGP, 2 miles at HMGP, and then a cool down. No 10K miles and no jog back to Rogue (since John picked me up at the track.) I had that pang of guilt as my girlfriends set off to jog back to Rogue and that little old feeling of inadequacy started to creep back in.

I went over to say bye to my coach before I headed off with John. Steve was all excited that everyone had run SO well and he actually looked kinda proud. So I sheepisly told him that I did what he told me to and that I did not run the 10K miles. I felt ashamed somehow. Then, in Steve fashion he said, "Well good, I knew you weren't ready."

I looked back on my buddies about to run to Rogue as I walked to the car and I thought of how proud I was of all of them too. What an awesome bunch of runners!!! Then I thought about what Steve said and I realized that when he "knew I wasn't ready" that it did not mean that I was a failure. It just meant I wasn't ready YET. I did the workout that he layed out for me. I listened!!! And, I ran 22 miles without having to walk or whine (too much!) I ran the hills, I ran the track, I did what I was supposed to do.

What that means to me: I belong in our awesome group of runners. Very cool.

3 comments:

Priscilla said...

Yay, Julia!! Way to kick ass and takes names on listening to Sisson :) You did awesome, be proud!

Unknown said...

You're crazy just like us...it's the pre-req for being a rogue;-)

Sisson tends to know what he's talking about when it comes to our training. I'm glad you listened.

Thanks for running with B & me...red bud & stratford were far from fun...

meredith said...

The hardest thing to do is to listen to someone when you feel good. You did the right thing and probably feel better for it. Read the end of my blog post...it's not about what everyone else is doing, it's about doing what is right for you and your training!! m