Thursday, October 2, 2008

Rolling, rolling, rolling

CV workout this morning. I didn't know how it was gonna go but it was ok. How does one do a track/tempo/speed kinda workout when one has NO idea of paces?? That was my concern.

I am one of those runners who struggles with paces. I understand "run until you taste vomit" and I understand (kinda) jog to the workout but I do not understand 15K. To make matters worse, I am a different runner than I was during my last training - ie. different paces again!!! Geez! So this morning I just decided to push a little harder at first since I am feeling quite wimpy on speed. However, I was determined to stay in a non-puke rhythm. This worked but by set #4 I was getting tired and my form and attitude (I am REAL into self-depreciation) started to go to Hell. So, after the first lap I decided to concentrate only on relaxing my breathing...run a 15K speed...what I should be able to do for 9 1/2 miles... My last set then felt fairly slow but this is how it went:

Set 1: 9:15
Set 2: 9:08
Set 3: 9:01
Set 4: 9:13

So basically, just by relaxing my breathing I was able to maintain a similar pace but not feel too stressed by it.

I read "Running Within" by Jerry Lynch/Warren Scott a couple of months ago. It is a good book and talks a lot about attitude and the mental aspects of running. For an ADHD person, who is also very stubborn, it has been easy to agree with the book but much harder to put it into practice. I would much rather just run balls to the wall all the time and not break down. But, that is not how it goes. Balls to the wall is great but I did break down and now I am struggling to reprogram myself. "Running Within" has been a good book to go back to for reference now and again. From treating your fellow competitors as your inspiration (training partners) to learning to RELAX and FOCUS on the moment (and enjoyment) of your run, maybe this book will help me deal with just taking a deep breath now and again. Looks like it worked this morning! Rolling right along...

2 comments:

Dee said...

Looks like you had a great workout. Good job You! Running Within is a great book, I think I'll go back and re-read some of the sections for inspiration.

Unknown said...

Good job on the work-out this am.

I think I dog-eared that entire book...i may need to revisit it sooner rather than later;-)