Thursday, October 23, 2008

CV workout

I really love (most of the time) running on the track. The track is a whole new "pain" experience and one that I thoroughly enjoy. The soft surface takes away all the aches in the legs and hips. It is pretty hard to get lost...lose count maybe but lost, no. It is far easier for me to feel tempo. I just watch the white line going by and imagine rolling... The "pain" experience is the burn of the lungs. I kinda like that. I feel like I am blowing out all the dust and pollen that I have gulped down on my outdoor job. Very cool.

Today was 4 x 2000 at Eastside track...15K (Critical Velocity) pace. While I am still in a quandry as to what that is for me...I was careful to listen to Steve telling us the benefit of the exercise. This is not too fast or slow, just enough to work with a little oxygen debt. The pace is one you are supposed to be comfortable running for 45 minutes. Mine went like this:

set 1 = 7:11 pace...a little quick
set 2 = 7:18 pace...better
set 3 = 7:17 pace...cool
set 4 = 7:11 pace...I actually felt good

I was "supposed" to be somewhere between a 7:25 to 7:45 pace for this one according to my anticipated marathon goal. But, I do believe the pace was good, even if it wasn't quite on target. It felt right. I am so glad that I am starting to feel better. I added my 100% iron cereal back into my diet a month ago. Could this be helping??? Who knows? I've got my sights on Boston...

No comments: