Monday, October 20, 2008

Rest of the story...

Palo Duro 50K. I get so wrapped up in the cerebral side of things I sometimes forget the "nuts and bolts" stuff. Anyway, I did start my run career with trail running and I did it almost exclusively for my first year. I have noticed that some of my team mates still toy with it... Mike immediately comes to mind, among others... It makes sense to me that it is a useful tool. It jostles you around a little more and tends to loosen things up. It encourages you to find that sense of proprioception that helps you to be more aware of your body moving through space. It encourages you to be more light on your feet by the addition of sprain threatening stones and roots. It really works your feet just by your movement across the undulating ground.

Palo Duro trails were a little muddy, a little sandy, a little rocky, a little hard packed, a little cracked... lots of change with nothing too severe. Most trails were relatively soft from recent rains. The climbs and descents were enough to be interesting but not enough to labor you. The race was smallish... about 200 in the 20K, much less in the 50K, and even less in the 50 miler. I believe under 500 people total. It was still a bad idea to start out in the rear of the pack as there were many strolling type run/walkers who were just out to enjoy the hike. It was pretty impossible to pass at first... the 50K/50 mile bunch started in the dark and were forced to use head lamps to see the trail. The possibility of cactus in the grass off of the single track trail was strong. No wanting to run in that!! The first loop was only 6 miles so we were all able to ditch our lamps and grab supplies before heading out on the longer loops. The cool bite in the air lasted most of the morning although the canyon on the back side of the course got hot once the sun got high... I could see how this could have been horribly hot (as it was last year apparently!) Even this year got some heat exhaustion victims, despite the fact that the aid stations were plentiful and very well stocked. On the flip side of that, the nimble, experienced trail runner boys blasting past me to run the 50 mile run looked like deer as they galavanted over this pretty forgiving terrain. And, hot as the back side got, the last miles in amongst the trees along the river (part of the Red River starts in this region) was shady and soft. There was a bit of a fight with the local bee population as the day wore on... who can blame them??? Coke, m&ms, and snickers...c'mon, it WAS bee heaven! They weren't too aggressive, you just had to make sure you didn't eat or drink one! And lastly, the volunteers were awesome. The head race director, "Red" had died just the month before so it was quite emotional for all of them. They were SO thankful that so many runners had come.

Anyway, my feet were sore from the changing landscape but I believe the workout and stretching effect was good for them in the long run. I am not ready to head back to the trails full time yet but I hope to keep enthused about doing some of my base building work on the trails. I do believe this stuff gives you a core strength like nothing else. Your buddies love pulling up the lawn chairs out there communing with nature and waiting for you to come in. And the well liked recovery beverage of choice seems to often times be beer. That is good for your hair, right?

4 comments:

kristenweber said...

hey! thanks! sounds like you had a fun weekend too :) looking forward to seeing you this week!

Dee said...

Awesome job Julia! I am amazed at people that can do trail running.

Unknown said...

Well done, Julia. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself - both on the trail and off. You and John stick with me no matter what. It is noticed and greatly appreciated. God bless.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.