Monday, October 6, 2008

Countdown

We are getting closer to our ultimate long run for 2008. CIM here we come.

So I like this "treat every Saturday long run as race preparation" thing. This was talked about at our meeting yesterday. Steve said that all of our quality workouts are designed around the long run and making us feel faster but... the long run is the king... don't skip it and do try to mimic what you plan to do (but running at easy pace NOT mgp) in California. So far, I have never really had a real race plan... ideas, yes but a plan, no. Stuff I have tried before is this:

  • Do not go out too fast (so far a dismal failure at this one)
  • Squish the cup together to drink your water on the move (dismal failure #2)
  • Get in a rhythm (getting better)
  • Get enough sleep the night before the night before (trying)
  • Have the right nutrition before and after (no clue)

Ok, so I have learned that going out fast does NOT work. Squishing the cup together seems to be a skill that may take me eons. Sleep and rhythm are coming along sorta. Nutrition...ugh...

Going out fast feels kinda good and looks good on the Garmin. But, what I have learned so far in my limited running career is that if you do this, you WILL die out. Patience and an appropriate tempo really is a skill that you have to learn (by doing.) I realize that this is a mental issue for me and that makes it very hard. I have to learn to FEEL and to be able to focus on this feel. I don't think I am too much of an idiot... I really think that this skill is learned by doing and by analyzing what happens with your body on all of your different runs. This will take time AND mileage. (One big benefit to our long distance base phase for sure!!)

Squishing the cup together... damn... why is this SO hard??? Lately I have been carrying the small water bottle thingie ($10 at Rogue) to see how this works. I am considering carrying it in the marathon. It is easy to fill up and relatively easy to carry. It has a small pocket for salt tabs and stuff. It is not as heavy as the bigger trail running bottles. I dunno... I don't like carrying something but maybe???

On to nutrition. I have read, googled, studied, questioned, and gone to Meredith. This is the hardest thing. I think it is a big piece of the puzzle. I think that I got away with sketchy nutrition before because my body was ignorant. Now it knows better. I am working on different things while running and before running nowadays. I know my cramping and (lately) my running out of gas can be improved with the right nutrition but I have a lot of things to learn still yet. I have a lot of questions and love any input that any of you have!!

We have 9 weekends leading to CIM. CIM is on the 9th one and I guess we may taper two others?? So this means only 6 or 7 long runs left before the big day! I see what Steve means now! We have just this many days to iron out what socks to wear, what to eat, when to sleep, and any other "maybes" we may have. Countdown guys!! I need new socks for sure!

1 comment:

kirsten said...

A suggestion re water bottles for a marathon - I always carry a 16oz ozarka bottle that I have put a squeeze top onto. I fill it up so I have water to sip on prior to the start and then use it for hydration during the race. When it is empty I toss it at the next waterstop. Usually lasts me about 8 miles. Lets me relax for the first third of the race and not worry about crowded water stops. I will stop a couple of times for powerade while I have the bottle.