Sunday, January 4, 2009

2009: Be your own inspiration!

"Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it" Charles Swindoll

Often times my reaction to my road bumps (or mountains!) in my running training in the last 18 months has been to be mopey or detached. Luckily, my determination to maintain my friendships and "Rogue Athlete" status has kept me getting out of bed at 4am to get to my workouts...no matter how crappy they were. And, luckily again, my coaches AND my friends have supported (or cast eyes away!) as needed.

As we enter 2009, I am feeling pretty good about my upcoming training. Steve told me to come up with a generalized 3 year plan for my running goals. Cool. Long term goals. I have actually "graduated" from idiot runner status to someone who may be able to make "real" long term goals. With these long term goals in mind (especially the one about hoping to PR a little bit at a time) I hope to eek my way along in my training. And, I am formulating a plan for 2009.

My plan for 2009 leaves room for any further road bumps that I may encounter...and I really am unconcerned about them...they are just 10% of life, right?

  • My plan is to continue to build up my mileage. (It sure works doesn't it team mates???)
  • My plan is to get a stronger core by hitting the gym or pool again.
  • My plan is to sleep more...bed earlier...less coffee!!!
  • My plan is to convince all my older girlfriends (and myself) to take CALCIUM to ward off those brittle bones we all get as we age.

And my plan is to not half ass these things (I swear it Ruth!!) no matter what road blocks jump up.

So I drove up to Rogue for the long run yesterday morning... what a crowd of runners!! I ran with new friends and old friends. I ran alone. I ran toward my 45 mile week as I build up to a 60 or 70... I got done and met John and my fellow trail running buddies for breakfast. I thought about all the energy I had around me all morning... the road runners, the trail runners, and my own. I thought about our training group starting up again this week and how happy I was that some old friends are joining us again. I thought about the Bandera trail race coming up, Boston, Oregon, new shoes...!!! And amongst all of this activity I was reminded that it is not really so hard for "one to be one's own inspiration" when there are so many inspired people around you...just look around.

4 comments:

MW said...

thanks for writing this, it was great. I had forgotten a few basic things so the timing for this was just perfect. Especially with Bandera looming and Tuesday imminent. I've looked around, I'm awake, and I'm ready again!

kirsten said...

The sleep thing is a big deal. I felt guilty this AM when I saw some people had already run and blogged before I got out of bed. However, I try to always afford myself the luxury of sleeping late on Sundays since I have to be at work Sunday night.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those goals and reminding me it's ok to have intermediate goals and not feel bad that you're not where you want to be quite yet.

Jon said...

Thanks Julia! My favorite part about your post and what hit home with me:
"I was reminded that it is not really so hard for "one to be one's own inspiration" when there are so many inspired people around you...just look around." That's what I love about our team....