Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Team Work

Mike, Claire and I did 7 easy miles from Barton Springs this morning. We missed Katie and Brenda, who are under the weather. It was chilly - not as much as last week but my car temp read 34 when we got back - and my face kinda froze on that last stretch of Barton Springs. I didn't wear my thick gloves this morning and I should have. I think it is a bit colder around the springs. Regardless, I really love meeting up for runs on Wednesdays. Here it is... 7:20am and I am at the coffee shop, I've already sucked down one Americano, and I am working on my homework (...or blog...) I am glad my team mates meet on Wednesdays!

Went to Happy Office Hours last night to clear up my schedule some. I fully expected Steve to tell me that I was nuts to be trying for 70 weeks. Instead, he has me doing two 75 mile weeks! Oh boy! I feel like I graduated or something. Steve is still very pumped about our team training and well...it is inspiring. Then, I asked about how to run ATT since it is just a training run. I was surprised (again) that he told me to go for 3:45 - 3:50ish and to go ahead and run hard at the end. Just when I think I know what he is gonna have me do, he up and changes things. Like I said, I feel like I have made one step forward (instead of my gung-ho way of heading "two steps back")

It is also nice to have such a wealth of knowledge from my team mates at Happy Office Hours. Steve told me that I was an idiot to be doing the breast stroke in my sad attempt to cross train by swimming. Jon (Mr. Swim Pro) just looked on and said "oh yeah, kills the knees..." Wow, how did they know my knees have been hurting since I started??? Then we talked about nutrition some. I am always curious to hear Mike's input on this because I know that he studies and practises sound nutrition ideas. (Nutrition is SO hard to figure out and it is SO particular to each person. It is interesting to hear about others trials and errors.) Finally, when I mentioned that my first Physics class nearly melted my brain (for REAL!!!) everyone at the table proceeded to tell me that I was CRAZY to be taking that class and they all gave me suggestions on what other subjects I should take instead.

Several of my team mates have started working in the gym this season. So...I joined along (not to be left out) and I am already feeling the difference (including the knee thing!!) Steve told me not to only concentrate on core and upper body but to also add weigh training for the legs too. I was surprised because I thought that running was enough leg work but apparently not. So out with the breast stroke and in with kicking with the floaty board thingy and using the leg machines. I did get the thumbs up on my warm up (the rowing machine) and I am glad because it has a little fish game that makes you row faster so your fish does not get eaten. Very cool.

So, as unusual as this may seem, I only have one thing to say... Go Team!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you were on Sisson's radar instead of me last night;-) There is lots to learn in the world of running, like don't take physics during training. Very Important Stuff!!!

I can't wait to be outside running with our team again;-)

Now go do your homework!