Thursday, January 15, 2009

I love coffee.

Especially really good coffee! I drank so much Pete's coffee in California I think I burned an ulcer in my stomach! But...it was worth it.

So... I am trying to cut down on this favorite vice of mine. You see, the average woman (let's hope I am not too average!) loses 10% of her bone mass during menopause. Great. And, coffee does leech some of your calcium...damn. Also, caffeine causes a huge low blood sugar problem (which, of course, I am already cursed with as well) because it makes one resistant to insulin so you get a blood sugar rise and then CRASH! (This one is particularly important now that I have to be awake after my coffee break so I can go to school) This being thoughtful about one's health is a pain in the butt...

On the upside... I actually am having less blood sugar spikes, I am eatinga few less sugar cookies, and I have lost a little of the 10 pounds that I need to shed.

Also...did I mention that I LOVE this weather???!!! Winter! Real winter!! A chilly run this morning on those St. Ed's loop hills! Day off tomorrow and ready for it. I have been doing the FOMO thing and I have joined the gym like so many others have. I have gone 4 times this week... Just a little core and upper body, a little swimming (floating while moving my arms and legs,) and some good ol' hot tub soaking...ahhh.... getting closer to that 70 mile week...at 55+ this week. Cool!

PS. Saw Cindy Schlandt at the gym and she was as lovely and sweet as ever. Says she will be back to the team in a few weeks!!

No comments: