Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It was 26...

Yes, 26 degrees when I got back to my car after our run this morning! I had lost my head band and my ears were cold!! But boy...do I love this weather compared to the sweltering heat we had this summer! And, I am not alone. Lots of runners were out and about this morning! I really like adding in the "group" Wednesdays. Great idea Mike!! It is so natural to get up at 4am now anyway. I might as well get out the door... much easier to do with my running "peeps." Just another great benefit of our team! It is sometimes kinda scary for a woman to go out alone in the dark...so this group run makes Wednesdays SO much nicer!

I am aiming for a 55 mile week this week. Carefully moving up 5 miles per week (after my initial 19 to 45 jump.) The 50 last week went ok and I am certain that the 55 will be ok to get through. I am a little sore this week but I think it is from the Bandera 25K I did over the weekend. There were LOTS of hills and rocks. My left thigh was bothering me again but I rolled and rolled and rolled it out on Monday (yes, I like to do ALL my rolling at one time instead of spreading it out over days!!) and today it feels better. I am still planning to run my Sunday runs on the trail so I continue to work on ankle and core strength and just more flexibility. It was very evident to me at Bandera that my road running has made me less flexible and adjustable. Besides, I really want that pair of purple Vasque trail shoes...

NEWSFLASH: Boyfriend John won his age group at Bandera as well!!!! In the 50K no less!!! I better get on the trails again or he is really gonna leave me in the dust!!!

I have extended my running to six days a week this session. I did 5 days a week last session and still had recovery issues. I think we are all stronger now however...including me...finally!! I was talking to Bruce about this the other day (since we are both older classics) and he said that he did 6 days a week during base building and went to 5 days a week when the speed work started. Seemed the speed work required a little more recoup time. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I start school next week so I am really tightening my schedule up. I had to move all my riding lessons around and thank God our runs are all early. I am a little stressed over affording Boston (otherwise I would cut some lessons out!!) but more stressed about ALGEBRA!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not have a very mathmatical brain. Give me an English or History class any day!!

Anyway, I am trying to stay commited to my New Year's Resolution of learning to SLEEP as much as possible. I got a new LOVELY and WARM and SOFT blanket for xmas that is my sleep blankie to encourage some peaceful slumbers. (Everyone that saw it at Bandera was SO jealous!) So, I have added this to my training regimen...in bed by 9 at the latest!! Any ideas on how to teach your body to go to sleep are certainly welcome!

Hope everyone has a neato peachy day! I love chilly weather! Woo Hoo!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's work a trade. YOu take my history and government classes this semester and i'll take your algebra. Deal?

Wow, this morning was cold. I thought I had warmed up until heading back on Barton Springs, slight wind sent me right back to frozen mode;-) At least it's done!

Jon said...

I am lovin' the Wednesday meeting at Barton Springs - get there, get a run, be done.