Friday, January 23, 2009

Flying!

No, I am not talking about how I felt after taking on the hills yesterday...and I am not talking about HOW I took on those hills either (although it wasn't half bad!!) I am talking about my little animal neighbor friend... a squirrel.

Now, I like squirrels (and I know that Ken does too!!) I enjoy watching them and how acobatic they are. BUT...they do steal food from the birds. Bad, bad! I put food out for them of course AND I put different food out for the birds in a little feeder. I have hung the feeder in trees at all heights and angles and have found nowhere that the squirrels can't raid it. I hung it on the house, under the eaves so they couldn't just slide down the roof (yes, they've done that too.) After much trial and error I finally found a spot that worked for a week, until they figured out that they could hand on to the window screen with 2 toes and reach just far enough out to grab the hanging chain with their little hand. Ok, now I was losing patience.

So I hung the feeder next to the glass part of the window...voila, no more climbing. Then today, a few weeks later, I was sitting on my couch (studying PHYSICS!) and suddenly, "BLAM!!!" the spinning feeder with a squirrel securely attached to it rammed into my window! I yelled at him to get off of it and he gulped down a couple mouthfuls of BIRD seed and jumped off. Stupid squirrel. Soon, "BLAM, BLAM, BLAM!!!" It was happening over and over! The cardinals were pissed. I was getting a little perturbed. My window was vibrating from the repeated impact and yet the squirrel pressed on. (He should be on our team!!) So, I put my books down, got up, and went outside to survey. This is what the little thief was doing:




He was jumping from the chair back onto the feeder... a good 4 feet. I moved the chair. The cardinals jumped on the feeder. And, the squirrel is in the tree screaming obscenities at me...just waiting for Ken to run by...

2 comments:

JohnF said...

That is funny. Growing up, were always trying to squirrel-proof the bird feeders, but we would just end up watching them doing crazy stuff like that to get through each barrier. It took years before they found a squirrel-proof feeder.

kirsten said...

I have a friend who had the same problem. Solution - her husband put a slick metal pole in the middle of the yard where there was nothing the squirrels could jump from. They entertained her for hours trying to climb the pole that had no grip - I don't believe they ever made it!!