Sunday, January 18, 2009

Old Times, New Times

Yesterday I had a nice run...almost like old times... We had started off for a 16/18 mile run from Rogue and as we chatted along I mentioned how I felt like I was a better runner these days despite being a slower runner. Most of our group was feeling more confident about their skills as well. Our team training is doing what it is supposed to do I guess!

Spring of 2007 was the last time I could remember having any good runs and yet... my running feels better lately and suddenly more controlled than ever. I am still slower but feeling like running is more like home and less of a fight. Yesterday I accidently ended up with 20.5 miles (I took an alternate route) and did the last 10 from a 7:45 to a 7:35 pace. It was comfortably hard, probably faster than I should have pushed it, but it felt more right. I was pleased with that. My friends are all running like champs too and it makes me proud of all of us. Like I said, kinda like old times...

So today I did my recovery run with John out on the greenbelt. I have to say...the cedar pollen was HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!! There were CLOUDS of pollen blowing everywhere and we ended up sneezing and wheezing! Hopefully this disgusting stuff will blow out of here soon! But...other than that, I got what I wanted...some running time that is not on the road.

This is my plan for the new times ahead...hit the trail once a week. It is awhile since I've run the trails much and I feel very dorky picking my way around out there. I can feel the different muscles working and stretching. I believe that I need that. So, NEW purple Vasques in hand (or actually, on foot) this is my new addition to training. I think we shall plan a breakfast club on Sundays... early morning trail run with breakfast after... We've done this the last 3 weekends (I do count Bandera) and I am enjoying it. Hope some of my buddies will join us??!!

3 comments:

kirsten said...

Sounds great. I cherish Sundays for fun recovery runs too...can't say I'm big on getting up early on Sundays though! A new girl on Team North and I took our dogs and ran the East side of TLT today - great fun - the dogs thought so too. She's going to introduce me to the trails around Austin after 3M weekend.

Unknown said...

I'm gonna work on Josh letting me off of my Sunday shift;-) Then I'm in for sure!!!

Jon said...

Yay! Purple shoes!