Friday, March 13, 2009

Da Plan! Da Plan!

Basically 5 weeks to go until Boston and I have cussed and discussed my plan with my coach. I now have a new "let's get through this round of sh-t (again)" plan. Ok, I am good with that. A plan is a plan. No goal for Boston...just run. No fall marathon!!!! (This could be reinstated) Run for fun at Jemez in May and H2C in August. Aim for Boston 2010. Ok, I accept (kinda wholeheartedly) this challenge. The challenge of maintaining a forward focus dictated by my body, my hormones (I guess,) and my overly active brain.

My Plan:

Keep up with the weights 3x a week. (probably need a visit with Mark about that)
Keep my weekly trail run going.
Cut mileage in half or don't even think about it...just get my 20 long in each week.
No quality.
Cut running days to 4 or 5.

I am not disappointed about this new plan. (I was the last time we did something similar) I am relieved. I was scared to take a non running break (I already took 4 days and thought I may need longer) because I am already grumpy and fatter. But I have felt so bad in everyway on every run lately, it was getting to my psyche (you noticed??) and making me really lose sight of any joy in running. So, I look at my new plan and I am relieved. I know that all the "no this and that" is all negotiable. And I think I may actually be able to find some balance with this more compact (I won't say smaller!!) effort.

I have put hours, months, and years into horses that I patched up on numerous occasions throughout their training. No matter what the outcome, it is always worth it. In the words of T.S. Elliot:

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."

That said, I am headed out to run a little in the mud tomorrow morning and then I will be seeing my team at Sunday's Soul Buster II for my 20 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

kirsten said...

Do you still ride at all Julia? I find having that little side venture still makes the running easier. Why? Being able to see the progress I have made with Riley...the fact that I have convinced a pasture ornament to enjoy a job, gives me great pleasure. There are a million ways I can just ride around on Riley and not really work on anything except having fun. That doesn't happen that much running so it's an enjoyable release. I also have the weekends in the summer where there will be no running cuz I'll be kicking some butt on him at the hunter shows. Maybe you need to get on a horse more often...just to mess around and have fun.

Julia said...

no...only for the occasional fixer upper...and honestly, I kinda miss having a horse buddy. Good thoughts K...maybe in a few months...

kirsten said...

If you ever need a little fun horsy fix let me know...we can take Riley and his buddy for a trail ride some weekend when it's not raining!! I'll be nice...you can ride Riley.